Natural Family Planning Class, May 23
Memorial Day, May 26
Prayer Shawl Ministry, Jun 4
Men's Scripture Sharing, Jun 10
OLP Vacation Bible School, Jun 17
View all Church Events
HISTORY:Our Lady of Peace Parish and School
January 17, 1946: Bishop Michael J. Ready decreed the establishment of Our Lady of Peace Parish and appointed Reverend George H. Foley as first pastor.
The Bishop referred Father Foley to Cliff H. Scheuer, president and manager of several finance companies with offices on East Gay Street, saying Mr. Scheuer would be a “willing helper” in the endeavor to find land.
Sunday, January 20, 1946: Fr. Foley dined at the West Schreyer Place home of Cliff H. Scheuer. After dinner they drove around the Henderson and North High Street territory and found two locations. One location was on North High just south of Westwood Road, on a slight hill, where the Overbrook Presbyterian Church stands today. And the other was two and a half acres with a large house at the corner of North High Street and East Dominion Boulevard.
The following week Bishop Ready made the decision to buy the property at North High and Dominion because of its size. The debt was $30,000.
Father Foley had rented an apartment on North High Street just across from the Beechwold Theater.* He offered Mass daily in his apartment and for several Sundays Mass was offered on the stage of the theater and by February 4, 1946 at A. A. Schroyer Funeral Home at 4221 North High Street. Mass was held there for a little over a year. (4221 N. High Street later became Weir-Arend Funeral Home; Carroll Weir Funeral Home as of 2009)
A large house on the property became the first rectory(picture below) when Father Foley moved shortly after the purchase of the property. A woman named Mary Burns became housekeeper and served for many years
The Parish area was about a mile square, from Glenmont Avenue to the south, to Kanawha Avenue to the north, and from the C&O Railroad on the West, to Indianola
Avenue to the East.
February 1946: Parish offices set up in apartment at 4217 N. High St., near Cooke Rd.
Spring 1946: Parishioners cleared the land and constructed a surplus U.S. Army barracks (picture below) from Marion Army Supply Depot** as the first Our Lady of Peace church. The first Mass there was offered in the late spring.
The parish served was approximately 90 families until 1953.
May 5, 1946: First Baptism---Katherine Ann Parmenteo.
July 4, 1946: First Burial: Ann Riley.
Late Summer of 1946: Cliff H. Scheuer was asked by Fr. Foley to be chairman of a “festival.” He accepted and the first festival netted about $3,300.
September 5, 1946: First Marriage: John Barton and Frances Kirby.
September 1947: The first school opened in a converted army double barracks. Two Dominican Sisters from St. Mary’s of the Springs taught 55 children in grades 1 through 5 in two classrooms. Conditions were very primitive, with unreliable heat and water. Grades 6, 7, and 8 were added over the next three years increasing the enrollment to 130, and doubling the teaching staff to four.
The basement of the new school was a perfect location for Bingo and the bus company ran several extra buses after Bingo. The women of the parish were given various weeks to bake a pie for Bingo. While Bingo was very successful, the proceeds were invested and a large sum of money was lost because of embezzlement at a stock brokerage firm. This occurred immediately after the death of Fr. Foley.
Barracks School photo taken between 1947 and 1952
Barracks Church September 1947 on a wedding day
May 1948: The first celebration Mass for Communion was held with 18 children.
May 9, 1948: “First” first communion class: 13 girls, 10 boys.
May 17, 1948
January 1949: Sister Mary Michael’s Classroom
February 28, 1949: Grades 3-4 and first paper drive
February 28, 1949: first meal in cafeteria
Spring 1949: The first Confirmation class had 41 students in grades 4 though 7.
Boys wore red ties and girls wore red corsages.
April 1951: Father Foley bought a house at 60 E. Dominion Road to use as a rectory. This house was later torn down and the current convent built on that site.
June 10, 1951: The first Graduation Ceremony was held for 13 students, 8 girls and 5 boys.
June 24, 1951: Cornerstone rites for new school. Bishop Ready officiated. The school was designed for six classrooms, an office, a first-aid room, and a teacher room on the first floor. The basement to have an auditorium, cafeteria, kitchen, heating/mechanical area, and storage rooms. The architects were Ramsey and Croce of Columbus, and Lang Construction of Columbus did the construction. It was 160 feet in length and 55 feet wide. The entrance off Dominion Boulevard was in the center of the building with three classrooms on either of a center hall. The exterior was red brick with limestone trim. The steel sash windows had block glass, known as prismatic light directional, which cut down the glare of sunlight and eliminated the use of shades. Each classroom was equipped with green chalk boards, display boards, a wardrobe for clothing, germicidal lamps to reduce the germ content of the atmosphere, and fluorescent lighting. There was asphalt tile flooring and acoustical ceilings. There was no plaster in the building. The masonry block walls were painted.
One of the outstanding happenings that occurred under Fr. Foley came in his effort to raise money. He purchased under contract a new house for a sum of $12,000- $14,000. This was after the war and houses were not available, however Father had a way of getting what he wanted. Mr. Scheuer’s recollection was that the house would be raffled with tickets selling for $1.00. For some reason sale of the tickets just did not take off and with about three weeks remaining before the date of the raffle only about $7, 000 worth of tickets had been sold. A large loss would occur unless something was done. A meeting of parish members was called and the problem discussed. Raymond Conner was appointed chairman of the committee for disposal of the remaining tickets.
Mrs. Mary Conner and Dorothy Scheuer took East Broad Street starting at High Street and traveled East soliciting every business and finished selling a large number of tickets (figures have been lost). Other ladies of the parish had a like success. The house was open for inspection all day Sunday and many tickets were sold then. The result was a total gross of around $18,000, turning what could have been a disaster into a nice profit.
August 22, 1951: the old house at 22 E. Dominion which had previously served as the rectory was converted into the first convent for the Dominican Teaching Sisters. That building was later torn down and in 1966-67 the current church erected on that site.
April 27, 1952: The new school was dedicated. The building had six classrooms, office, teachers’ room, restrooms, and basement with cafeteria, kitchen, storage rooms, and boiler rooms.
December 25, 1953: The second temporary church, dedicated by Bishop Ready, was attached to the school and later became the gymnasium. The brick building had a capacity of 450 people.
February 2, 1965: Death of Father Foley.
June 15, 1965: Msgr. Riehl named pastor. With his appointment came the mandidate to construct a new Church, convent, and rectory. To build and furnish this new complex was projected to cost $817.000, with $34,000 annual operating expenses.
April 12, 1966: Groundbreaking for new church; the day was damp but spirits were not.
March 19, 1967: Cornerstone laid for new church. (Picture Below)
Mary Eal remembers, “The first time I attended Mass at Our Lady of Peace was in the school. The first person I met was Mrs.Truax, who later was one of our organists. At this time plans for the new church were on the drawing board. It was a dream!
From the pictures it was difficult to visualize not entering from High Street, and the church seemed so modern. Soon we were given a tour of the incomplete church, and to my amazement, it did not have a communion rail, and the altar table was stationary facing the people. However, I noticed the tabernacle was high, in a focal point behind the altar table (it no longer is in that location). Finally the tower bells were installed and each was named in honor of one of our Bishops. They seemed to invite all to a warm, peaceful place to worship.”
From the Columbus Dispatch Saturday, April 15,1967---work on new church progresses.
October 1967: A newspaper article states: “The new $800,000 church, rectory, convent, and office for Our Lady of Peace is nearing completion and should be ready by the end of October. The church is 114 feet high and steel going into the spire will be covered with copper while the bells will remain exposed. The four bronze bells came from Burden’s in Cincinnati and were cast in Holland. The first bell is for Christ-Prince of Peace and is in memory of the living and deceased members of the parish. The second bell is for Our Lady Queen of Peace and is in memory of Rev. George A. Foley, the founding pastor. The third bell is for St. Michael and is in memory of Bishop Michael J. Ready who established the parish. The fourth bell is for St. John the Baptist-the Patron Saint of Pope Paul VI and Bishop John J. Carberry.”
The Architect was Earnest E Gaal, Columbus. Architecture Columbus 1976, p. 264.
“The Church’s powerful design includes a low-pitched pyramidal roof and strong battered-brick corner columns. Its main feature is a stylized metal steeple. Though it suggests a traditional steeple that might be found on an older church, only the essential structure has been built, leaving the church bells exposed. The interior of the church is also interesting. It was influenced by the architecture of Eero Saarinen, one of the most innovative architects practicing in the early to mid-twentieth century.” AIA Guide to Columbus; 2008; p. 214.
The diamond-shaped, brick church has a seating capacity of 650. The church is designed to conform with directives of the Vatican Eucmenical Council. It will have a radical seating plan, with worshipers forming a semi-circle around the altar. The floor will slope slightly for better visibility. Based on the new liturgy, the church will have a separate elevated Blessed Sacrament altar. The baptistery, sunken two steps below floor level, stands at one point of the diamond, with the main doors on both sides. The opposite point contains the sanctuary. At the point to the right of the sanctuary is the chapel of the Blessed Virgin May; to the left, the chapel of St. Joseph. Another interesting interior feature is the chapel for the administration of the sacrament of penance. The stained-glass windows carry out the theme of the Litany of the Blessed Virgin, tied together by olive branches---symbol of peace.
Windows in other areas---all are designed by Franklin Art Glass of Columbus---are also symbolic. The choir windows are symbols of angels, St. Ambrose and St. Gregory the Great---Fathers of the Church devoted to liturgical music. The main doors are surrounded by windows symbolizing the four Evangelists, and the priests’ sacristy has windows with symbols of the subdiaconate, diaconate, and priesthood. Suitable stained-glass windows also are in the chapels of the Blessed Virgin and St. Joseph and in the baptistery.
The rectory, attached to the church by its office and administration section, will house three resident priests---all on one floor. Two guest rooms are located over the garage.
The convent, located to the east of the school, will house eight Sisters on two floors.
Total cost for the three buildings, furnished, was $875,000.
Ernest E. Gall was the architect; C.C. Vogel Co., general contractor; Duckworth Heating and Plumbing, mechanical contractor, and Electric Power and Equipment, electrical contractor. All were Columbus firms.
December 10, 1967: The current church, rectory and convent were dedicated by Bishop John J. Carberry. The Blessing and Dedication of the church was at 10:00 A.M. This was followed by the First Mass at 10:45. Concelebrants were Reverend Frank Fortkamp of Ready High School, a former assistant, Reverend Edward McFarland of Watterson High School, a son of our Lady of Peace Parish; Right Reverend Leonard Fick of the Josephinum, a former weekend assistant; Very Reverend Frank T. Riehl, the pastor; and Most Reverend John J. Carberry. Deacons were Reverend Richard Crosser, and Very Reverend John P. Byrne. Masters of Ceremony were Reverend Donald Maroon and Reverend Michael Donovan. The Sermon was given by the Reverend Richard Bober.
12:30 P.M. there was a dinner for the bishop and clergy. 2:00 P.m. was a private blessing by the bishop of the rectory and convent. This was followed by an open house of the new church, rectory, and convent.
Following this chronology more information from the OLP Dedication brochure is given.
1967: 20th anniversary of the Dominican Sisters at Our Lady of Peace.
1972: Graduation Class
1975: Another highlight was the help given by the members of the parish in eliminating debt for the new church. In 1975 Mr. Cliff Scheuer was a member of the finance committee and with Ed Koch and John Grabner called a meeting of the parish. They laid before the parish members a plan whereby Our Lady of Peace would borrow money from the members of the parish in units of $1000 and issue non-interest bearing bonds. These were payable in ten years. This resulted in a large savings in interest on the parish debt. This was in the day of double digit interest rates and OLP’s interest payments dropped around $20,000 the first year. All bonds were paid off before the due date.
Fall 1977: The first Home and School pizza sale commenced and is still going strong today---thirtieth anniversary 2007. Sales are annually in the fall and spring.
January 1978 OLP Parish Newsletter from the Pastor's Corner section about receiving Holy Communion---"Now that we have been using the optional practice of receiving the Eucharist in the hand for the last three months..."
1982: During the co-pastorate of Fr. Edward F. Healey and Fr. Edward J. Fairchild, the school was expanded to include three new classrooms, a science lab and new lockers and restrooms. What is known as Phase I fundraising was conducted to raise $231,000 to fund the school addition.Photo below of the two story school addition courtesy of The Catholic Times, Friday, October 29, 1982.
October 30, 1982: Bishop Edward Herman blessed the addition to OLP School. "The challenge was to take the educational facilities that were suitable for the '50's and update these facilities to meet the needs of the '80's," said Dominican Sister Mauryeen O'Brien, the school principal. The school served 251 students in grades one through eight. The addition didn't expand the capacity of the school, but allowed expansion of the curriculum. Architects for the project were Jester and Feitham of Marion; general contractor, Triangle Investments of Columbus. Total cost of the project was $380,000. Construction was begun June 6 and completed August 30, the first day of the 1982-83 school year.
Pictured below are Bishop Edward Hermann with pastor Father Thomas Green blessing the renovated gymnasium.Photo courtesy of The Catholic Times, Friday, November 5, 1982.
October 1985: Coffee and doughnuts served after the 10:00 a.m. Mass once a month. This tradition continues today.
1986: New roofs were put on the church, rectory, convent, and gymnasium.
Kick-off of Phase II Fundraiser to raise $212,000 to complete payment for replacing roofs of practically all parish buildings.
September 1986: Many parishioners consider this the first parish festival held.
Cliff H. Scheuer mentions in his reminiscences being asked by Father Foley, founding pastor of Our Lady of Peace Parish, to be chairman of a “festival” late summer 1946. We have found no documentation showing any festival activity between 1947 and 1986. The Parish Festival tradition continues each year in July.
1989: Parishioners first participated with other area parishes and seminarians in the Open Shelter effort, serving meals to the homeless at a church in downtown Columbus. This initiative initially took place the second Sunday of the month. As of mid-2005, the day has been moved to the second Thursday of each month.
Fall 1992: Carol Folian became the first lay school principal.
September 1994: The first kindergarten class began with 22 students.
October 27, 1994: The vacant field next to the church (4546 N. High Street) was purchased and transformed into a baseball diamond and a soccer/playing field/area. At one time it had been covered with DeSantis Florist’s greenhouses. Phase III fundraising, a three year project starting in 1994 and ending September 1997, raised $300,000 for the purchase of DeSantis Field ($140,000) and to start an Our Lady of Peace Foundation. The theme of the fundraising was “field-future-fifty,” as the parish moved toward celebrating its 50th anniversary.
Our Lady of Peace School November, 1995
April 1996: The playground structure (jungle gym) was replaced and updated.
May 1996: Our Lady of Peace Parish celebrated its 50th anniversary with two outdoor (parking lot) jubilee Masses 4:00 p.m. Saturday, May 18 and 11 a.m. Sunday, May 19. The principal celebrant was Bishop James Griffin. Participants were asked to bring their own chairs. This was followed by a luncheon, in tents in the church parking-lot. The school was open with exhibits of memorabilia, student work, and a “Walk Down Memory Lane.” In addition: there was an oldies dance featuring the Street Players performing music from the 1940’s-1990’s the evening of Saturday, May 18. Participants were asked to dress in an outfit from their favorite decade. Grandparents’ Day at the school was Thursday, May 16---grandparents visited and shared photos and stories.
A special anniversary cookbook was assembled for the occasion.
November 10, 1997: Phase IV Parish fundraising initiative was a pledge drive to undertake a church renovation. An estimated $390,000 was needed for new lighting of church and gym, a redesign and update of the sanctuary, creating a Gathering Space and new north entry, easier access to church for elderly and handicapped, and correcting the flooring in the gym.
June 1998: Renovations were begun on the church and gymnasium. During this renovation, daily Mass was held in the Music Room in the church lower level.
November 8, 1998: Bishop James A. Griffin presided at 11:30 Mass to celebrate the completion of the church renovation.
Summer 2000: The entire school building was renovated (wall/floor tiles, etc.) through the generous gift of the Don Kenney Family.
Summer 2001: Sister Barbara Kolesar joined parish staff as Pastoral Associate.
Fall 2001/Winter 2002: Advent and Lenten Scripture Series were started and continue today.
Summer 2003: The Funeral Ministry was organized and served its first funeral luncheon the late summer 2003.
Summer 2005: Both the Hospitality Ministry and Men’s Bible Study Group commenced.
2006: The Parish celebrated its 60th anniversary--- Sunday, April 30, 2006: Anniversary Mass 11:00 a.m. celebrated by Pastor Msgr. Kenneth Grimes followed by a reception in the school gym. Other commemorative events included a special spin on the annual volunteer dance held Saturday, April 29, the theme was “1946” and music from the last six decades was played.
June 2006: Father Kenneth Grimes retires
2007: Knights of Columbus Our Lady of Peace Council #14282 was founded
Lenten Soup Suppers were offered and continue to be shared after Tuesday
evening Lenten Prayer Service or Mass
May 19, 2007: Appreciation Reception for OLP Retired Priests.
Pictured here from left to right: Monsignors Edward Trenor, John T. Dittoe, and Edward McFarland
April 2008: SPICE (Special People in Catholic Education) was adopted by Parish Council.
June 11, 2008: Pastor, Father Kevin Kavanagh celebrated his 25th anniversary of ordination to the
November 29, 2008: Parish son, Jeffrey Fortkamp, celebrated his ordination as deacon.
Tracey, newly ordained Jeffrey, Jonah and Riley Fortkamp with Bishop Emeritus Griffin
February 2009: The Prayer Shawl Ministry was formed.
November 2009: The parish website was launched Thanksgiving weekend.
June 27, 2010: Celebration of Sister Barbara Kolesar's Golden Jubilee (50th Anniversary)
Mass and Reception
Sister Barbara's brother Monsignor John Kolesar main Celebrant,
Deacon Jeffrey Fortkamp, and visible in the background Monsignor
Kenneth Grimes one of the co-celebrants.
Above and below: Sister Barbara surrounded by family and friends.
March 6, 2011:
The Arts and Environment Committee held a "Town Hall Meeting" to share with
parishioners projected changes to be made to the Sanctuary.
Plans were approved by Bishop Campbell in July. See September for more info.
The Bereavement Ministry was established.
August 1, 2011
Bishop Campbell purchased the property at 27 East Dominion, a house directly across
the street from the church and school for $265,000. The OLP Pastor's/Fr. Kavanagh's residence,
will be moved to this house, with plans to remodel the existing rectory space in
the near future to serve as meeting space and parish hall. As an OLP commiteee met in the spring
and summer to address under-utilized parish space, it became evident that the abundance of
space in the current rectory could be better utilized.
Renovation of the sanctuary as proposed by the OLP Arts and Environment Committee was completed this month. The Blessed Sacrament tabernacle was returned behind the altar which had housed the choir, the Baptismal Font moved to where the tabernacle had been, the choir, piano, and organ moved down from the altar after removal of three rows of pews on left side of church, the "Lamb of God" cross was returned to hanging behind the altar, and panels depicting "living water" were placed around the perimeter of the altar.
October 15, 2011
Msgr. Kenneth Grimes, Associate Pastor 1960-63, and Pastor 1986-June 2006 died.
November 27, 2011
Changes to the Mass in the universal Roman Catholic Church were implemented
Click here for more information http://www.usccb.org/romanmissal
You can also go to The Catholic Times from the Diocese of Columbus website which began weekly educational columns as of March 20, 2011 "Welcoming the Roman Missal"
Sister Barbara Kolesar is congratulated for being named "Religious of the Year" by
the Ohio Councils of the Knights of Columbus.
* The Beechwold Theater 4250 N. High Street opened in 1941, went on to be the Camelot North Theater in 1972, The Drexel North Theater in 1986, Revco Drug Store in 1995, and is now a Sports Connection.
** Marion Army Supply Depot was located in Marion, Ohio. It was an engineering depot in the 1940’s, adjacent to a munitions facility that closed at the end of WWII. From 1944-1946 the Depot also had a Prisoner of War Camp. The camp closed in March 1946, the engineering depot closed in 1960, and in 1989 the land was sold for the development of an Industrial Park.
Above Historical Information was collected from:
Our Lady of Peace Parish Celebrating 50 Years 1946:1996
Our Lady of Peace Parish Celebrating 60 Years 1946-2006
Columbus Dispatch Wednesday, February 3, 1965 p. 29A
Saturday, April 15, 1967
Saturday, December 9, 1967
To All Parishoners brochure from Msgr. Frank T. Reihl, November 12, 1967
The Catholic Times , April 17, 1966
December 10, 1967 p.1
October 29, 1982 p.29
November 5, 1982 p.13
May 10, 1996
Other dates unknown
Clintonville This Week May 13, 1996 p. 6
Document written by Cliff H. Scheuer about the start of Our Lady of Peace Church
Edited by J.M. Logsdon March 25, 1990
“Remembering” sections of the OLP newsletters 1981-1982
Office of the Bishop Catholic Diocese of Columbus document
Documents from Catholic Record Society, 197 E. Gay Street, Columbus, Ohio
Abstract of Title
Franklin County Auditor website