Organizations & Opportunities
Memorial Day, May 26
Prayer Shawl Ministry, Jun 4
Men's Scripture Sharing, Jun 10
OLP Vacation Bible School, Jun 17
OLP Vacation Bible School, Jun 18
View all Church Events
THE SOCIETY OF SAINT VINCENT DE PAUL
OUR LADY OF PEACE
Special Announcement May 2013: Our Vincentian, Ron Wehner, has been nominated for the Top Hat award for service. Ron's nominators unanimously applaud his leadership and acknowledge being inspired by his energetic and compassionate personal involvement. During his long leadership, Ron has led the conference and agencies such as St. Ladislas, St. Lawrence Haven and the Bishop Griffin Center. He is always personally involved. Barbara Gentile wrote: "During the week, (Ron) delivers food, clothing and many other items to St. Ladislas, St. John's, Holy Family, Faith Mission, Open Shelter, Bishop Griffin Center, Clintonville Resource Center, JOIN, and in Review...Many homeless people who were once visited by Ron have joined our parish." Congratulations, Ron, on your nomination!
The “Conference of Charity” from which the Society of St. Vincent de Paul sprang, was founded in Paris in April 1833. Frederic Ozanam, a student of twenty, was the principal founder. Confronted one day by someone stating: “You praise the Church to us as the benefactor of humanity. That was true in former times, but what are you doing in our times for the people? What do you provide for them?” From this, a seven member student group decided to cease discussion, take action, and form a charity. They wished to remain faithful to their baptismal promises and perform the essential duties of the Christian life by helping others. These ideas were in keeping with the tradition of St. Vincent de Paul whom the group chose as their patron. Between 1833 and 1860 the growth of the Society was rapid; not only young intellectuals but Christians of every class were eager to do something to improve the lot of people. It spread throughout France, Italy (1842), England (1844), Belgium, Scotland and the United States (1845), Germany, Holland, Greece, Turkey and Mexico (1845), Canada and Switzerland (1847), and Australia and Spain (1850). The Holy See approved of its aims and methods, and at the end of 1845 enriched it with precious Indulgences. In 1950 the Society of St. Vincent de Paul had about 875,000 members worldwide from 130 countries.
The first conference in the United States was organized at the “Old” Cathedral (Church of St Louis of France) in St. Louis, Missouri on November 20, 1845. There were societies in Cleveland as early as 1865, and Cincinnati in 1869.
The story of the Society in the United States constitutes a significant chapter in Catholic social action and awareness in the developments of the Catholic Charities movement. The Society is an influence in more than one-fifth of the operating parishes in the United States and is represented in every diocese. (taken from the United States Manual of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul, 1995 pp. 7-14)
WHO WE ARE/WHAT WE DO:
Mission of the Our Lady of Peace Society of Saint Vincent de Paul is to carry out the works of Jesus Christ by providing food, clothing and emergency assistance to those in need.
Charitable works are performed by parish members (any parishioner over 18). We have 12 active members and can always use more to share in God’s work.
Call the parish office (614-263-8824) to report people needing assistance.
Referrals and assistance are confidential.
Financial support is provided by quarterly church collections.
Sandwich Making: 3rd Sunday of the month after the 8:30AM Mass in the School Cafeteria and 4th Sunday of the month after the 10:00AM Mass (300 sandwiches takes 1 hour). Sandwiches are delivered to the St. Lawrence Haven Food Pantry in downtown Columbus. Volunteers for the sandwich making are welcome and needed, children included. Contact Judy Leahey at 459-8925 for more info.
Canned food donated 365 days of the year by parishioners is taken to the St. Ladislas Food Pantry on Reeb Ave. on Columbus’ Southside. Canned food can be left between the confessionals in the back of church at anytime. Special food collections are promoted during Advent and Lent.
Household and Small Appliance Drive:
There is a household goods and small appliance drive annually the third Sunday of May. Items go to the Bishop Griffin Center located at Christ the King Church on East Livingston Avenue. Recipients included unemployed, low income, recent immigrants, and fixed income seniors.
There is an annual clothing collection for St. Francis Center in McArthur, Ohio each fall. Members from OLP Scout Troop 169, Knights of Columbus, and St. Vincent de Paul helped in this effort in 2012.
We donate a case of wine to the Silent Auction at the OLP Festival in July.
We are involved in 5 community organizations where there are volunteer opportunities:
St. Lawrence Haven, St. John/Holy Rosary Soup Kitchen, St. Ladislas Food Pantry, Bishop Griffin Center, and Holy Family Soup Kitchen.
Business meeting – 1st Sunday of the month after the10AM Mass in the School cafeteria.
See also: Sandwich Making under ACTIVITIES.
|Ron Wehner, Presidentfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Judy Leahey, Vice Presidentemail@example.com|
|Barbara Gentile, Secretary||614-846-5105||BJAG@columbus.rr.com|
|Ann Milem, Treasurerfirstname.lastname@example.org|